Photo Opp ~ The Memorial Chapel at Lakewood is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and serves as the architectural focal point of Lakewood Cemetery. The building was modeled after the Hagia Sophia in Istanbul, Turkey.
The chapel interior was created by New York designer Charles Lamb and many consider it the most perfect example of Byzantine mosaic art in the United States. Artists created more than 10 million mosaic pieces, called tessellae, from marble, colored stone, and glass fused with gold and silver. Upon its completion in 1910, the Lakewood Memorial Chapel was the only building in the country with an authentic mosaic interior. The chapel dome is 65 feet high and ringed with stained-glass windows that serve as a sundial telling the time of day and season. Four large mosaic figures representing Love, Hope, Faith, and Memory are situated on the side walls below the dome. Lakewood Cemetery is a large private, non-sectarian cemetery located in Minneapolis, Minnesota.